PRE – and POST – INSTRUCTIONS FOR PLASMA PEN
Plasma Pen Treatment or Plasma Fibroblast Skin Tightening is a non-surgical, non-invasive treatment that contracts and tightens the skin, while stimulating new skin fibroblast formation that in turn produces more collagen in your skin. The result is smooth, firm, lifted younger looking skin.
Like most skin rejuvenation treatments, a Plasma Pen treatment may cause some side effects.
You should must follow the important guidelines below carefully to avoid any side unwanted effects and to optimize your results.
How Does Plasma Pen Treatment Work?
The plasma treatment uses plasma to stimulate fibroblast production resulting in the contraction and tightening of the skin cells. Fibroblasts are a main contributor to the tight skin of your youth. The number of fibroblasts and their activity declines with age. The plasma pen treatment ionizes gas in the air to create a small electrical lightning bolt. When the electrical lightning bolt touches the skin surface, the excess or lax skin contracts and tightens. As the skin heals the skin has better tone resulting in visible wrinkle reduction and elimination of some spots and sun-damage. When done correctly, there are usually no open wounds during the healing phase thus reducing the risk of negative side effects such as infection or loss of pigmentation or hyperpigmentation that be seen with laser treatments.
Plasma Pen treatments can be moderately uncomfortable especially on what area is being treated. Eyelid procedures, where the skin is at its thinnest, are often more sensitive. We typically apply numbing cream to the treated area prior to procedure for thirty minutes and deploy other pain management techniques to minimize discomfort.
Before your treatment:
Avoid any kind of tanning (spray tanning, tanning injections sun tanning and tanning beds) for 2-4 weeks before your treatment.
Immediately Following Treatment
- You may experience a “stinging” sensation in the treated area(s) immediately after treatment. This is normal and it generally only lasts for about an hour.
- Do NOT cleanse the treated area until the following day.
- Your skin care will provide you with after care products and instructions to optimize the healing process please follow the directions give closely.
The Days After Your Treatment:
It is normal for the area that has been treated to be red/pink, swollen and feel tight and dry.
- Tiny crusts will quickly form on the treated area. These may be visible for up to about a week.
- Do NOT pick crusts off a this will delay the healing process and could cause hyperpigmentation and scarring.
- The area(s) treated may be cleansed daily with room temperature water and your fingers. Avoid using washcloths or any other washing devices You are only removing excess oil and need to thoroughly cleanse the treated skin. Do not be tempted to rub, brush or exfoliate the area in any way to aid in the removal of the crusts. Pat dry with a clean tissue or soft towel.
- Do NOT stand with your face under a hot shower for the first 3-4 days. This could increase swelling.
- Keep scabs/crusts moist by applying provided aftercare three times a day-but only in small amounts, do not soak the area.
- Men should avoid shaving the treated area until it is healed.
- Once the scabs have fallen off (approximately 7 days), your skin may be a little pink. You may begin to apply your normal foundation/Makeup/Sunblock but avoid using skincare products containing glycolic, salicylic/retinoic/AHA/scrubs/Clarisonic or any other active exfoliating ingredients/devices for at least 21 days as this will cause irritation. ABSOLUTELY NO MAKE-UP UNTIL SCABS HAVE FALLEN OFF.
- Avoid sun exposure. Once the scabs have fallen off, you must wear a physical sunblock ( zinc and titanium) and a hat while your skin is in the healing stages ( pink in color) and you should continue to do so for at least the next 12 weeks to avoid hyperpigmentation.
- Do NOT sunbath/sun tanning beds for 10-12 weeks post procedure.
- Do NOT have any other facial treatments in the same treatment area while your skin is healing (12 weeks).
- Do NOT wax treat area for at least 21 days if not longer. If you are receiving Plasma Pen treatment anywhere around the eyes, we suggest waiting the full 12 weeks. It will be OK to tweeze or thread any unwanted hairs after scabs have fallen off the area.
Ask your skin care specialist for which medical grade products will enhance and maintain your plasma pen investment.
Avoid smoking and alcohol.
On top of the immediate rejuvenation, lifting and tightening effects you’ll likely experience from Plasma Pen, it takes 8-12 weeks for the full effects of your treatment to be seen.
If additional treatments are required, it will be necessary to wait until the skin complete heals in about 12 weeks.
Schedule a follow up appointment for 3 months from treatment to evaluate progress.