Frequently Asked Questions
If you are scheduled for dermal fillers, laser treatments or special peels we recommend you arriving 15 minutes prior to your appointment time so that we can properly prepare your skin for the treatment.
We advise all of our patients that are having a chemical peel or any laser treatment that they should avoid sun exposure at high levels or be on any sun-sensitive antibiotics for the 2 weeks prior to an appointment. In addition, you need to be off of any products containing retinols as this will increase the peeling process.
We ask that Laser Hair Removal patients come shaved before a treatment. It is recommended to shave the day before your appointment.
We also suggest that all patients receiving any of our facial treatments and consultation to arrive without make up if possible. Read pre and post procedure guidelines.
- It’s the first and only treatment FDA-approved to temporarily make moderate to severe frown lines, crow’s feet and forehead lines look better in adults
- A quick 10-minute treatment with minimal downtime
- You may begin to notice results within 24 to 48 hours for moderate to severe frown lines
- It delivers predictable, subtle results, so you look like you, only with less noticeable facial lines
Compare the before and after pictures of real patients in our gallery, and see the difference for yourself.
- For the crow’s feet area, your specialist will inject 3 areas of the muscle that frames the side of the eye. This will be repeated on the muscle that frames the other eye.
- For the frown lines area, your specialist will administer 5 injections into the muscles between your brows and in your forehead.
- For the forehead lines area, your specialist will administer 5 injections into a muscle in your forehead.
JUVÉDERM VOLLURE™XC softens moderate to severe parentheses lines and wrinkles by adding subtle volume around the nose and mouth in adults over the age of 21.
JUVÉDERM VOLUMA®XC adds volume to the cheek area to correct age-related volume loss in adults over 21.
JUVÉDERM VOLBELLA®XC adds subtle volume to lips and softens the appearance of vertical lip lines.
JUVÉDERM®XC smooths moderate to severe parentheses lines and wrinkles around your nose and mouth.
JUVÉDERM®Ultra XC adds fullness and plumps lips as well as soothes and corrects moderate to severe parentheses lines in adults.
It is more important to find an experienced specialist who will take the time to understand your treatment goals and develop a treatment plan that is right for you.
MICRONEEDLING FAQHow does skin injury make my skin look better?
The general rule of thumb is, the more invasive the treatment, the more dramatic the results. Case in point, if you get a facial – you will see a luminous glow for a few days afterward. But if you get a Microneedling treatment, you will keep that luminous glow for four to six weeks.
Treating skin conditions such as Melasma and Rosacea with Microneedling can be highly effective. If you suffer from either of these similar skin conditions, you already know there are very few ways to effectively treat your skin discoloration concerns. Microneedling combined with SkinMedica Lytera Skin Brightening Complex is the most effective in-office treatment we prescribe for our Melasma and Rosacea clients.
After your skin has received the Microneedling treatment, we will apply the SkinMedica Lytera Skin Brightening Complex to the treated skin on your face. This product contains skin brightening ingredients as well as Vitamin C, Vitamin B3, Essential fatty acids, retinol, and algae.
You will see an improvement in the overall condition of your skin, improved skin tone, and reduced discoloration of your skin.
Your skin will lightly bleed but only for a few seconds. The mini-punctures will trigger the production of your very own growth factors that eventually result in collagen production. New collagen production can be further increased by the use of boosters such as PRP, hyaluronic acid, SkinMedica TNS Serum. You can expect your Microneedling treatment to take about one hour. Your skin will be red for less than an hour for darker skin tones and several days for lighter, more sensitive skin.
Do not apply makeup to your skin for 12 hours after treatment while your skin is healing. You may start applying emollient creams to alleviate any dry, tight or itchy sensations while your skin is healing. Do not shave for 1-2 days post treatment while your skin is healing. You should apply high-factor sunscreen (at least 30 SPF) and protect the treated area from sunlight. Sun exposure may cause hyperpigmentation.
In other treatments involving ablative or heat methods, cicatricial healing is triggered, and type I collagen forms from the top down in the dermal layer. The major benefit of Microneedling is the growth factors released trigger regenerative healing. This type of healing is comprised of type III collagen forming from the base upwards in the dermal layer.
- Inflammation begins immediately during your treatment.
- An Inflammatory Response will trigger tissue generation. Your very own natural growth factors will cause your body to produce healthy tissue.
- New tissue Formation will continue for up to 1-year post treatment.
Treatments are like a very powerful camera flash lamp being held against your skin.
The selected light waves target chromophores (color pigments) such as melanin in brown spots and freckles; and such as hemoglobin in broken or diffused blood vessels. The light waves can also target specific protein molecules in acne bacteria and in collagen. IPL treats all conditions without disruption to the skin’s surface.
Lasers produce light from one specific wavelength, or color, for a very specific target. The light emitted from the IPL is composed of a spectrum of colors from different wavelengths, enabling selective photo-absorption (light absorption) to different targets. In other words, using the IPL is like using a group of lasers in a single treatment.
The hair growth cycle:
Hairs grow in constant cycles: Firstly hairs are actively growing, then they become dormant (resting), and finally they loosen and shed, only to be replaced by more new, actively growing hairs.
Only hair follicles in the active growth stage are disabled by IPL treatments.
Hairs in the dormant stage of the growth cycle normally remain anchored in the follicles for weeks or months, depending on their location, but their follicles and associated hair germination cells are not disabled by IPL treatments. These follicles will be treated in subsequent sessions. This is why you need repeated sessions. Hair growth becomes sparser with each session. All treated hairs should shed within about two weeks.
- Skin Tone and Re-texture
- Vascular Lesions
- Acne & Rosacea
The Intense Pulsed Light is absorbed by color particles which are present in blood and in melanin.
The IPL also treats the propioni-bacterium in acne and protein present in cells which produce collagen.
Pigmentation marks slowly come to the skin’s surface and are shed naturally.
Vascular lesions dissipate into the lymphatic system for excretion, just as bruises do.
Enlarged pores, minor pitting and scarring diminish and fade.
Fine lines and wrinkles are softened and may virtually disappear.
Collagen & elastin production increases.
- PERMANENT HAIR REDUCTION A course of 5 to 10 treatments is usually required to treat hairs at all stages of the hair growth cycle, at 3 to 6 week intervals; which varies depending on hair type and color, and the location being treated. Fair hairs will require extra treatments. White hairs cannot be treated.
- SKIN REJUVENATION: It is difficult to predict the number of sessions required, as it depends on the nature of the lesions to be treated and their size, plus the client’s skin type, condition and color. Some conditions may require maintenance treatments from time to time. This will be discussed during your consultation. Different types of skin rejuvenation require different numbers of treatments.
- VASCULAR LESIONS: Facial redness, broken capillaries, spider veins, etc 2 to 6 treatments usually recommended, at 2 to 6 week intervals.
- PIGMENTATION MARKS: Freckles, sun spots, flat birthmarks, etc, 2 to 8 treatments usually recommended, at 4 to 6 week intervals.
- ROSACEA AND ACNE: Results are profound, but these hormonal conditions may return. 2 to 6 treatments usually recommended, at 1 to 3 week intervals.
In most cases there is no visible reaction and you would be expected to be able to return to work and resume your normal activities immediately after your appointment. However, IPL causes heat in the target tissues; therefore it is quite acceptable for the area to be slightly reddened immediately after treatment, but this would normally dissipate within half an hour. It is possible for the skin to appear slightly red for a couple of hours and up to 24 hours. If a reaction is visible after 48 hours it is imperative to contact your IPL operator for further advice. For those people concerned about wearing make-up immediately after treatment; provided there is no adverse reaction, (which is very rare), we can apply a mineral foundation to your face after your sun block. After hair removal treatments is also common to see a slight swelling at the mouth of each hair follicle, similar to goose bumps. This appearance should disappear within the same frame time as with reddening.
You can NOT be treated if you have had ultra violet (UV) exposure from the sun or sun beds within the past 4 to 6 weeks. Therefore prior to your treatments you must cover well with clothing and hats and sun block to prevent extra activity of the melanin cells in your skin. Melanin cells are responsible for tanning. Your tan slowly ‘wears off’ as those cells reach the surface of your skin in the normal skin- shedding activity, known as skin renewal. Fake tans stain the outer skin cells, and this color will intensify the IPL heat at the surface of the skin, therefore we cannot treat with IPL for at least two weeks after a fake tan application.
Waxing, plucking, threading:
For hair removal treatments, allow the hair to grow just a little, ( 2 mm is enough) immediately prior to your treatment day. Please refer to the ‘Hair removal treatments’sub-heading above. It is advisable to shave between appointments, as waxing or plucking would remove the hairs that we are hoping to target in your next session.
SHAVING DOES NOT CAUSE FUTURE HAIR GROWTH TO GROW MORE RAPIDLY OR TO BECOME COARSER. Only the actual shaved hairs will become coarser, but they will shed, and new growth will be normal.
Bleach or depilatory creams:
These products should not be used for at least one week before IPL treatments.
AHA Creams, Glycolic or Salicylic Peels:
These products should not be used for at least one week before IPL treatments.
- No sun exposure or UV exposure of sun beds
- Wear sun block with both UVA and UVB protection
- No depilatory, AHA, glycolic or salicylic creams
- No very hot baths or showers – tepid water only
- No heat treatments e.g. sauna
- No swimming in chlorinated pools or spa baths
- No deodorant – if underarms treated
- No perfumes, highly perfumed soaps or lotions, etc.
- Always wear a good sun block with both UVA and UVB protection
- Avoid excessive sun or UV exposure. Cover up and be sun-safe.
- Redness and swelling of the skin are normal. They are harmless effects which usually disappear within half an hour, but can occasionally be visible for two to thirty hours. Tightening of the skin can sometimes be felt for one or two days.
- In extreme cases blistering may occur, which heals in a few days. Cooling, healing gel or ice-packs should be applied frequently to alleviate discomfort. Treat this situation as you would for sun burn.
- Scabbing is possible after blistering. It is extremely important NOT to pick scabs off the skin, as they are protecting the underlying skin while it heals itself. If you pick a scab off, the healing process will stop and you could be left with little pock marks.
- If any signs of redness and swelling are still present after 48 hours of treatment, please contact the IPL operator for further advice. If your IPL operator cannot be contacted, a doctor, pharmacist or naturopath should be able to give you appropriate advice. In the mean time, treat as sun burn.
- Blanching or hyper-pigmentationwill only occur if strict guidelines regarding settings for the different skin types and colours have not been adhered to; OR if the client has not disclosed all contra-indications, medications. or the full extent of their sun or UV exposure during the month prior to treatment. Usually blanching or hyper-pigmented scars will heal and fade over weeks or months, but in extreme cases, especially on darker skins, they could be permanent.
- Light produced by laser and by IPL is absorbed by the color pigment, melanin, which is present in our hair and skin. Caution is required when treating people with dark skins, Asian skins and some other skins which tan very easily. Hyper-pigmentation or blanching of the skin is likely to occur if there is too much melanin present in the skin. It is possible to treat medium to medium/dark skins on a low intensity.The consultation process and a test patch, will determine whether each individual can be treated. Strict guidelines must be adhered to, when treating darker skinned people, using only low levels of intensity at each session, and therefore more treatments will be needed to achieve a result. Skins such as Negroid, Melanesian and some darker Indian skins are not treatable – for both skin rejuvenation and for hair removal. Electrolysis is an option for these people, but it too, must be administered with caution, on a low intensity, due to the possibility of hyperpigmentation or blanching.