PRE – AND POST TREATMENT INSTRUCTIONS FOR MICRONEEDLING
- If you have active acne in area of treatment please call to reschedule.
- If you have a history of cold sores you will be placed on a medication called Zovirax. Please follow the instructions on your prescription. Call office for prescription 224-432-5803 Glenview, 312-638-4979 Chicago.
- If you have active cold sore of the day of your appointment, please call clinic to reschedule until lesion completely healed.
- Please arrive with fully cleansed skin: no makeup, moisturizers, perfume, cologne, or any other products on the skin.
- Avoid Retin-A, retinoids, topical antibiotics, exfoliants, hydroquinone and benzyl peroxide 3 days prior to treatment.
- Topical numbing crème will be applied pre-treatment. Notify us of any medication allergies.
- Microneedling cannot be done while PREGNANT OR NURSING.
- No sun exposure, tanning beds, self-tanning products for three days prior to the procedure. Procedure will be canceled if you are sunburned.
- None of the following can be used or performed two weeks prior to treatment: chemical peels, waxing, and chemical depilatories.
- Do not shave the treated area the day of the procedure.
- Bring a hat and scarf day of procedure to wear after your treatment.
Post-Treatment Instructions and expectations
- Use ONLY your post-treatment kit for the first four days after your treatment. Do not use any of your own products during this time period.
- NO SUN EXPOUSURE for at least 14 days, ideally 30 days after procedure.
- NO tanning beds, or self-tanning products for 7-14 days after procedure.
- NO picking or exfoliating,
- NO vitamin A products 7days post treatment (including Retin-A, Retinol, Tazorac).
- NO chemical peels 14 days post treatment
- NO shaving 3 days after procedure, if skin is irritated continue to wait before shaving.
- NO toners for 14 days post treatment
- NO sweating, exercising, Jacuzzi, sauna, steam bath until skin irritation has resolved (3-7 days)
- NO exfoliating medications or chemical products or devices for at least 7 days post treatment
- Ice packs, Tylenol and NSAIDS are okay if you are feeling discomfort or swelling. Do not take Ibuprofen, Aleve or Mortin.
- Eat fresh pineapples or drink pineapple juice to minimize bruising and swelling.
WHAT TO EXPECT AFTER YOUR TREATMENT
After the treatment your skin will be red and flushed similar to a moderate sunburn. The redness should be greatly reduced within 24-48 hours.
During the healing process you may experience swelling, burning, itching, bruising, soreness, skin tightness, flakiness, sensitivity and dryness. It may take up to 5-7 days for the skin to heal depending on the extensiveness of your treatment. USE ONLY THE PRODUCTS WE GIVE YOU FOR THE FIRST FOUR DAYS. Make sure to wash your face with cool water and the cleanser that we provide, only gently pat your skin dry. Mineral based sunscreen with SPF of 30 should be applied and reapplied every 60 -90 minutes while outdoors.
- It is normal and expected for your skin to feel red, sun-burnt, tight, dry, swollen and sensitive to the touch. You may also experience some stinging.
- Drink plenty of water, avoid make-up and use only the products in your post-treatment kit.
- You may reapply the kit moisturizer repeatedly throughout the day.
- Stay away from exfoliants or glycolic acids that are present in cleaners as these can make your skin very dry after the procedure.
- Use Tylenol for pain but avoid anti-inflammatory medications such as Motrin and Ibuprofen as these may decrease the wanted effects of the procedure.
- ***If you had PRP applied, do not wash off the PRP solution until the morning after your treatment.
- May feel the same as you did on Day 1.
- Skin feels dry, tight and red.
- Use your post-treatment cleanser and lotion.
- Use your post-treatment care kit as instructed.
- Do not use any of your own products.
- You will still appear pink and notice that the swelling is beginning to decrease.
- Mineral make-up is okay to start using.
- Continue with post-treatment care kit.
- Minimal swelling, minimal bruising, may have some flaking.
- Do not pick at the skin that is starting to flake off and do not use any exfoliaters.
- Continue to use sunscreen. You may resume exercise.
- Starting to look great! Resume regular products for skin, including vitamin A products.
- Continue to avoid sun exposure.
- There may be areas that are darker that flake off after a week.
- Avoid direct sun exposure.
- Use a minimum of SPF 30 outdoors or in the car and remember to reapply every 1- 1½ hours while outdoors.
For best results and efficacy we recommend a series of 3-5 treatments at 4-6 week intervals and then treatments for maintenance at least once a year. If you have any concerns, please call us immediately.