What is a PDO Thread Lift?
Thread lifts are a relatively new form of non-surgical face lift. If your face has loosening or sagging skin and you want a tighter, fresher more youthful look, this treatment may be suitable. There are no cuts or incisions, justinjections
How does it work?
Polydioxanone (PDO) threads are a special medical grade thread that is thinner than hair, made of protein.Research has confirmed that PDO relaxes tendons and muscles, whilst a foreign body reaction improves the blood flow to the area stimulating neocollagenesis (the production of new collagen in the skin). It also stimulates elastin and hyaluronic acid, both substances are key to maintaining firm, youthful looking skin.
Is it safe?
PDO threads have over a decade long safety track record in surgery and wound closure. PDO threads gained FDA approval.
What happens during treatment?
Lidocaine injection applied to the entry points following which threads are introduced into the skin through a fine needle- into either the skin itself, the muscle, or the subcutaneous fat. The treatment results in an immediate improvement in appearance but the results will improve over ensuing days and weeks as the PDO stimulates neocollagenesis, increasing the amount of collagen in the skin. The appearance of the skin improves in terms of overall texture, becoming thicker, tighter and firmer as fine lines and wrinkles are reduced.
Which areas can be treated?
This is a very versatile treatment which can be used in any part of the face and neck to treat sagging brows,nasolabial lines, vertical and horizontal forehead wrinkles, drooping cheeks, marionette lines, sagging jawline,plus wrinkles and folds on the chin and neck.
What results can I expect?
Thread-lift treatments result in an instant and natural looking improvement in the appearance of the skin. A process of natural protein synthesis then begins af ter about 10-14 days. Over the subsequent weeks results will continue to improve, peaking at around 6 months and lasting for up to 2 years as your own body produce collagen, elastin and hyaluronic acid. Making this form of non surgical facelift a very long lasting treatment. The thread itself is completely biodegradable and dissolves within 12 weeks, after which new collagen has formed around the thread to continue to support results, maintaining a smooth and supple texture of the skin.
Treatment may not be suitable if:
- You have active acne/broken skin or are prone to cold sores
- You have taken anticoagulation medications such as aspirin/warfarin/heparin or have consumed alcohol within 48 hours of treatment (we advise you to continue taking prescribed medications but stop taking some complimentary supplements such as evening primrose oil, vitamin D,A and E, fish oils, flax seed oil, magnesium, garlic and ginko prior to treatment)
Treatment is not suitable if:
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding
- You have an autoimmune disease, diabetes or infection
What should/shouldn’t you do following treatment?
Most people will have no problem resuming normal activities immediately after treatment. If all instructions are followed the process will be comfortable, fast and provide an effective recovery time.
General aftercare advice:
- Some pain/discomfort after treatment can be expected, Ibuprofen can be taken if required.
- Do not have any other aesthetic procedures (such as toxins, fillers, peels etc.) for 7 days
- Avoid extreme temperatures, alcohol and anticoagulants for 7 days. Those taking Prescribed anticoagulants such as aspirin/warfarin must continue to do so but must be aware that bruising is more likely
- Gently wash the treated area as required, but do not rub or massage for 2 weeks
- It is important not to overstretch the treated area (i.e. open the mouth wide) for 4 weeks (avoid dental treatment during this time if possible)
- Do not have Radio-frequency, IPL, Laser or other heat treatments near the treated area for 10 weeks
Are there any side effects?
There is minimal downtime and no general anaesthetic risks. The specialised needles allow small areas to be tackled effectively. As there are no incisions, stitches are not required and scarring is unlikely.
The most commonly reported side effects:
Less commonly reported side effects:
- Thread protrusion, puckering of the skin
- Infection, granuloma
- Migration (cogs)
- Facial nerve trauma
- Stinging/scratching/pulling sensations
- Allergic reaction